In partnership with The Neverending Bookshop, we are pleased to share with you our book club, In Someone Else’s Shoes! Through a variety of literary styles, we will read a book each month which is written by an author from a culture and point of view that are underrepresented in our literary landscape in the US. These points of view will be explored in a variety of genres and writing styles. The books will be nominated at each meeting by the members present.
The book club meets at The Neverending Bookshop on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2 PM. You can find the current book description in the calendar here and on our Facebook group. Everyone is welcome, however the subject matter of some of the books is more appropriate for older teens and adults.
Our current selection for the meeting on December 17th is Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente.
We will be meeting at 11 AM on Dec. 17th due to an author event in the afternoon.
“Koschei the Deathless is to Russian folklore what devils or wicked witches are to European culture: a menacing, evil figure; the villain of countless stories which have been passed on through story and text for generations. But this modernized and transformed take on the legend brings the action to modern times, spanning many of the great developments of Russian history in the twentieth century.
Deathless, however, is no dry, historical tome: it lights up like fire as the young Marya Morevna transforms from a clever child of the revolution, to Koschei’s beautiful bride, to his eventual undoing. Along the way there are Stalinist house elves, magical quests, secrecy and bureaucracy, and games of lust and power. All told, Deathless is a collision of magical history and actual history, of revolution and mythology, of love and death, which will bring Russian myth back to life in a stunning new incarnation.”
Here are some of the books we have read and discussed in previous months:
- Eucalyptus by Murray Bail (Australia)
- City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson (Kenya)
- The Architect’s Apprentice by Elif Shafak (Turkey)
- Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Japan)
- The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles (Brazil)
- The Devourers by Indra Das (India)
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez (USA)
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigeria)
- No Knives in the Kitchens of This City by Khaled Khalifa (Syria)
- A Bitter Inheritance by Alka Kurian (UK/India)
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang (Vietnam)
- The Orchard of Lost Souls by Nadifa Mohamed (Somalia)
- The Country Under My Skin by Giaconda Belli (Nicaragua)
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (India)