In partnership with The Neverending Bookshop, we are pleased to share with you our book club, In Someone Else’s Shoes! Through a variety of literary styles, we will read a book each month which is written by an author from a culture and point of view that are underrepresented in our literary landscape in the US. These points of view will be explored in a variety of genres and writing styles. The books will be nominated at each meeting by the members present.
The book club meets at The Neverending Bookshop on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2 PM. You can find the current book description in the calendar here and on our Facebook group. Everyone is welcome, however the subject matter of some of the books is more appropriate for older teens and adults.
Our current selection for the meeting on March 18th is The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.
“The House of the Spirits brings to life the triumphs and tragedies of three generations of the Trueba family. The patriarch Esteban is a volatile, proud man whose voracious pursuit of political power is tempered only by his love for his delicate wife, Clara, a woman with a mystical connection to the spirit world. When their daughter Blanca embarks on a forbidden love affair in defiance of her implacable father, the result is an unexpected gift to Esteban: his adored granddaughter Alba, a beautiful and strong-willed child who will lead her family and her country into a revolutionary future.
One of the most important novels of the twentieth century, The House of the Spirits is an enthralling epic that spans decades and lives, weaving the personal and the political into a universal story of love, magic, and fate.”
Here are some of the books we have read and discussed in previous months:
- Celia’s Song by Lee Maracle (Canada – First Nations)
- Waiting by Ha Jin (China)
- Deathless by Catherynne M Valente (Russia)
- Eucalyptus by Murray Bail (Australia)
- City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson (Kenya)
- The Architect’s Apprentice by Elif Shafak (Turkey)
- Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Japan)
- The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles (Brazil)
- The Devourers by Indra Das (India)
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez (USA)
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigeria)
- No Knives in the Kitchens of This City by Khaled Khalifa (Syria)
- A Bitter Inheritance by Alka Kurian (UK/India)
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang (Vietnam)
- The Orchard of Lost Souls by Nadifa Mohamed (Somalia)
- The Country Under My Skin by Giaconda Belli (Nicaragua)
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (India)