In partnership with The Neverending Bookshop, we are pleased to share with you our book club, In Someone Else’s Shoes! Through a variety of literary styles, we will read a book each month which is written by an author from a culture and point of view that are underrepresented in our literary landscape in the US. These points of view will be explored in a variety of genres and writing styles. The books will be nominated at each meeting by the members present.
The book club meets at The Neverending Bookshop on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2 PM. You can find the current book description in the calendar here and on our Facebook group. Everyone is welcome, however the subject matter of some of the books is more appropriate for older teens and adults.
Our current selection for the meeting on May 20th is Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
“Ifemelu and Obinze are young and in love when they depart military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Beautiful, self-assured Ifemelu heads for America, where despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple with what it means to be black for the first time. Quiet, thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Fifteen years later, they reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria, and reignite their passion—for each other and for their homeland.”
Here are some of the books we have read and discussed in previous months:
- In the Country by Mia Alvar (The Philippines)
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- Celia’s Song by Lee Maracle (Canada – First Nations)
- Waiting by Ha Jin (China)
- Deathless by Catherynne M Valente (Russia)
- Eucalyptus by Murray Bail (Australia)
- City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson (Kenya)
- The Architect’s Apprentice by Elif Shafak (Turkey)
- Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Japan)
- The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles (Brazil)
- The Devourers by Indra Das (India)
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez (USA)
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigeria)
- No Knives in the Kitchens of This City by Khaled Khalifa (Syria)
- A Bitter Inheritance by Alka Kurian (UK/India)
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang (Vietnam)
- The Orchard of Lost Souls by Nadifa Mohamed (Somalia)
- The Country Under My Skin by Giaconda Belli (Nicaragua)
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (India)