In partnership with The Neverending Bookshop, we are pleased to share with you our book club, In Someone Else’s Shoes! Through a variety of literary styles, we will read a book each month which is written by an author from a culture and point of view that are underrepresented in our literary landscape in the US. These points of view will be explored in a variety of genres and writing styles. The books will be voted on by poll on the Facebook group and presented at each meeting.
The book club meets at The Neverending Bookshop on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2 PM. We also record the meetings over Facebook Live in our group, so you can join us from all over the world! You can find the current book description in the calendar here and on our Facebook group. Everyone is welcome, however the subject matter of some of the books is more appropriate for older teens and adults.
Our current selection for the meeting on February 17th is Silver Bullets by Élmer Mendoza.
“For Detective Edgar “Lefty” Mendieta, tormented by past heartbreak and dismayed by all-pervasive corruption, the murder of lawyer Bruno Canizales represents just another day at the office in Culiacán, Mexico’s capital of narco-crime.
There is no shortage of suspects in a city where it’s hard to tell the gangsters from the politicians. Canizales was the son of a former government minister and the lover of a drug lord’s daughter, and he nurtured a penchant for cross-dressing and edgy sex. But why did the assassin use a silver bullet? And why, six days later, did he apparently strike again?
Mendieta’s hunt for the killer takes him from mansions to low-life bars, from gumshoe reporters to glamorous transsexuals. Unearthing the truth can be as dangerous as any drug.”
Here are some of the books we have read and discussed in previous months:
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal (UK/India)
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (Korea/Japan)
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria/USA/UK)
- In the Country by Mia Alvar (The Philippines)
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- Celia’s Song by Lee Maracle (Canada – First Nations)
- Waiting by Ha Jin (China)
- Deathless by Catherynne M Valente (Russia)
- Eucalyptus by Murray Bail (Australia)
- City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson (Kenya)
- The Architect’s Apprentice by Elif Shafak (Turkey)
- Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Japan)
- The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles (Brazil)
- The Devourers by Indra Das (India)
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez (USA)
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigeria)
- No Knives in the Kitchens of This City by Khaled Khalifa (Syria)
- A Bitter Inheritance by Alka Kurian (UK/India)
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang (Vietnam)
- The Orchard of Lost Souls by Nadifa Mohamed (Somalia)
- The Country Under My Skin by Giaconda Belli (Nicaragua)
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (India)